Thursday, March 23, 2006

Wed - Shannon River to Manjimup - 63kms


A great day - slightly overcast and the temp not expected to get higher than 22 degrees. Set off through forests over rolling hill - my favourite cycling countryside. Travelled through national forest for a number of hours and finally hit the wine country. You cant turn around here without tripping over a winery, and I guess that will continue for several days. I was chatting at a rest stop to some Tasmanians who were on the ride last year, and we got onto the subject of falling off. I made the stupid statement - 'Oh, I have not fallen off for years'. Two hours later, I moved over for a car onto what I thought was bitumen, but it was six inches of black gravel and I got turfed off into a ditch. Luckily I was moving slowly, so grazed knee and elbow and bruised ribs were the extent of my injuries. It only hurts when I bend over or lift my bag up.

Just after my accident, it started to rain at about 1.00pm and continued off and on until the next day at around 8.00am. I had a leak in my tent which I will need to remedy today - someone who makes horse blankets told me to rub a candle on the seam, so I have procured my 20 cent candle for the job. Rest day Thursday - today, and time to blob around town and update the blog. Tomorrow off to Nannup - hopefully not in the driving rain. As I always say - there are only two certainties on a ride - hills and rain.

No comments: