Monday, March 27, 2006

More on Augusta

After setting up camp, I went for a walk along the Blackwood River and down to the beach - where the Southern Ocean meets the Indian Ocean - I could not quite tell where the join line was, but it was scenic and windswept anyway. Met a local man walking his friendly labrador who showed me a poor seabird barely alive in the sand dunes - some sort of skewer we though, on its last legs. He promised to call the local ranger when he got back home to see if she knew someone who could rescue it - otherwise the foxes would dispatch it by dark. He told me that the labrador had run up to a beached leapard seal one day, and just missed being slice in half. I stood on the sand dunes accompanied by some small cheery green parrots fossiking about and watched the waves crashing in from Africa.

I walked along the river on the way home and saw a pod of dolphins - with at least one baby which stuck close to its mother. The river is delightful, with all types of birdlife and a great walking track right along the river and up to town.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For a moment I thought the poor bird had a skewer thru its last legs.

But then no, the skewer did not have a skewer at all.

Good to see the warm up for the 100ks is going according to plan!!!