Monday, March 27, 2006

Augusta to Margaret River via Hamelin Bay


Yet another rain shower overnight so everything was wet as usual when it was time to pack up. A long breakfast line meant I skipped breaks and headed for the bakery in Augusta - unfortunately 100 or so others had the same idea. A leisurely ride with a detour to Hamelin Bay - a great beach, but just a tad too cool at 8.30 am for a swim for me, but other cyclists took the plunge. Watched a school of 20 or more dolphins cruise up and down the shoreline searching for food. Stopped off at various points on the road - galleries, caves, etc, there seemed to be a stop every 5kms or so. Finally made it to lunch at the magnificent Voyager Estate Winery - I think they have about 10 acres of bowling green lawn, so even 2500 cyclists had plenty of room to stretch out! Did some wine tasting then back on the bike. Settled into my cottage shared with my friend Anne for three nights under a roof in the Margaret River Tourist Park - functional and clean. Off to the Alex Lloyd concert which was great - and the venue is magnificent at the Leeuwin Estate Winery, but I must confess I just had one beer!

Monday - Managed to get my washing done, and head into town for lunch. I'm thinking of cycling out to the surfing completion this afternoon to check it out. Will require some pedal power however!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You must be music deprived on your trip to have enjoyed an Alex Lloyd concert! Sounds like you're having a jolly good time.