Sunday, April 02, 2006

Final Day - Pinjarra to Perth 95kms


The last day - and it started raining about 1.00am. At 5.30am - time to rise and shine - it was still raining. Everyone was up early this morning it would seem, packing up in the rain. On the bike about 7.20am this morning and off through town and then country roads. The roads today were great - very smooth with few exceptions and the absence of a headwind meant that we could move along at a steady clip. I made it to the lunch spot by 9.00am - by the serpentine river. Lots of farmets in the 60 kms outside Perth and lots of horse studs and adjistment facilities. The terrain is very flat and sandy, and the ubitiqus grass trees everywhere beside the road. We travelled today for around 40km on cycle paths beside the freeway. I am very impressed by the cycle pathways around Perth - I have to say I think they are better than Melbourne. All are well sign posted and it seems you can get most places by bike. The last kms of the trip were cycling beside the swan river - a magnificent backdrop to the city. Finally at Langley Park and the final fairwells. Anne and I headed for a coffee shop - "only five minutes walk" from out friend Cathy - twenty minutes later with heavy packs we made it - but the coffee was worth it. Anne's friend came to pick her up and I was left to my own devices. I did not have the address of the YHA, but I was told it was near the Wellington St Bus Station. Some irish people saw me looking at the map and said that it was not far and I could easily walk. I set off with 20kgs of luggage up the hill and left down Wellington St. Looking for the new YHA which no one knows of - I walked all the way to the freeway before I decided that this was not looking good. I finally realised that the YHA was at the other end of the street, and so I made the trek back - probably a 5km round trip with the pack after a 95km cycle - needless to say, I was a little tired. Did not stop me sightseeing once I had showered and changed. Tomorrow - Freo on the train, and then home on Monday....

No comments: