Wednesday, April 20, 2011

And the mystery disease is: Guillain Barre Syndrome

After some 8 months of symptoms ranging from almost not being able to walk, blurred vision, incredible pain in my back and legs, loss of feeling in my legs, feet and hands, not being able to breathe at times, bladder and bowel problems the details of which I won't bore you, intolerance to heat as I have stopped sweating, not being able to ride my scooter or bike, nausea, dizziness, headaches, digestive problems and a month in hospital, I finally got a diagnosis - Guillain Barre Syndrome.

Guillain Barre Syndrome itself is very rare - 1 or 2 people in 100,000 get it, but of course, my version had to be a rare variant called Autonomic (sudomotor) variant of Guillain Barre Syndrome. The neurologist told me I was the second one he had seen in 10 years with this varient. I should recover, but he is not sure how long it will take.

Two weeks ago, just when I thought I was getting better, I got a stomach bug and it was like having a mini relapse - and I really panicked. My walking has deteriorated, my sight has gone blurry again, I have been really struggling. I'm slowing improving, but by lunchtime my leg is dragging on the ground and I can hardly move around.

I might feel terrible, but everyone is telling me how good I look! I can highly recommend a week of fasting for that fresh faced model look.

No comments: