Friday, January 02, 2009

Monterey and Pebble Beach






A big day today starting off with getting petrol - took me a while to figure out you have to pre pay here - and set off for the Monterey Aquarium. What a fantastic aquarium. It was set up in the early 1980's with the help of Mr & Mrs Packard of the Hewlett Packard fame with his millions earned from scientific calculators (well I know I donated at least $120 for one back then) and large computers. Well done Packards!







The stunning thing about this place is the otters - there are around 6 in all (all seem to be girl otters) and they are fantastic. They are big - probably about 1.5 metres with tail by my estimation. All are permanent residents due to behavioural problems (they go up to people when released) or health conditions. They did seem quite happy and jolly I must say, and the otter wranglers did appear to do lots of things to keep them entertained.

























All of the exibits were outstanding, but the jellyfish were fantastic. Here are some of the Jellies I snapped.


















In the afternoon, I hired a bike and road around the 17 mile drive to Pebble Beach - amazing houses and golf courses and fantastic beaches and rocks. Here is one of the tees on the Spanish Bay Golf Links



No comments: